Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Incoming - Heavy Mortar Platoon


Fresh off the painting table, a platoon of 4.2" Heavy Mortars complete with command observers and PIAT   team. At this stage I feel like I am getting the hang of painting infantry as I painted these all up ready to base in an afternoon. For my next batch of infantry I must try picking out pouches and webbing in a different colour and getting insignia patches on shoulders.

I must work out a way to capture better detail in the face


The motivation behind the mortars was smoke. However I have now used them twice and yet to fire smoke with them. In terms on offensive power they are not really able to recoup their cost having only take out one 8-Rad. That said the forces they have been fielded against have been fully armored, they should be more effective against infantry and half tracks. In the long run if it turns out that all they do is drop smoke from time to time I will switch them out for their smaller 3" brethren whom cost quite a bit less.

3 comments:

  1. You made the exact same mistake I did when I did my heavy mortars. Technically all "artillery" on a large base faces down the length of the large base. Medium mortars on the other hand simply faces towards the lengthy edge as you've done above.

    I made a discussion about it on the FoW Forums back in the day. Long story short, nobody really cares. Just let your opponent know ahead of time. if there ever comes a point where that extra big of length sticking out from the side might matter (such as if you place them really close together, or are up against a building) just turn them appropriately to gauge it and be done with it.

    All that said and done, they look great! What are you using for fill around the bases?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfectionist in me says I should do them right and pull them all off and re-base them. Then again that will be a major pain... I actually did look at the Flames of War website before I assembled them and didn't even notice the orientataion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, exactly the same here. I left mine they way they are. It irks me, but I forget about it quick enough.

    ReplyDelete